These workshops range from targeted half-day workshops to two-day deep dives into specific concepts and are fully customizable to meet the unique goals of individual schools or districts.
Areas of focus include:
- Student-Centered Classroom Culture & Design
- Project-Based & Experiential Learning
- Ownership, Choice, and Voice
- Student-Centered Assessment & Feedback
- Mastery-Based Progressions
- Culturally Responsive Teaching & Learning
- Social-Emotional Learning & Habits of Success
- Instructional Leadership
- Collaborative Professional Learning
- Curriculum Implementation Support
The Design Workshop breaks implementation into manageable steps, models active learner-centered pedagogy, and encourages risk-taking.
During this blended Workshop facilitated by BetterLesson’s expert coaches, participants experience the power of BetterLesson’s “learn by doing” pedagogical model. Coaches support educators to build knowledge about student-centered learning as they explore high-leverage instructional strategies and adapt them for their own classrooms. Participants leave the Workshop with a specific plan for implementation.
The learning doesn’t stop at the end of the session. Every Design Workshop participant receives job-embedded implementation support from a BetterLesson coach in the weeks after the Workshop. This support includes a 1:1 virtual coaching session where educators reflect on the success of the strategy and discuss next steps.
The Lab allows educators to:
- Select from thousands of curated strategies that align with the specific elements of practice they are focused on improving.
- Gain insights on the ways other educators have implemented a strategy to determine how to best adapt it for their students.
- Collect and share evidence that demonstrates educator and student progress in a selected growth area.
- Reflect on progress and track professional growth.
Design Workshops for Teachers & Teams focus on
Building understanding of a school or district focus area in a collaborative and concentrated manner.
Engaging with BetterLesson’s vast resource library and documenting big ideas for continued work focused on student achievement.
Collaborating with peers to share experiences and apply relevant concepts.
Creating actionable plans for implementation that lead to student growth.
Design Workshops for Instructional Leaders focus on
Maximizing understanding of instructional design and pedagogical techniques in a specific focus area.
Building confidence to create a vision for teacher growth and student success.
Increasing internal capacity to support effective implementation of new initiatives.
Creating actionable leadership plans that lead to teacher and student growth.
This is my first year of teaching. My coach help me to establish clear goals for my planning and student’s engagement. The evaluation helped me reflect on my teaching practices and identify new areas of growth. My coach help me with feedback and identify new strategies that I can used in class for effective classroom management.
My BetterLesson coach encouraged me constantly and helped me work through setbacks on a regular basis. Her encouragement and positive outlook, as well as her understanding of real-world conditions for teachers, helped me to be more confident in my own classroom.
The presenters were both very informative and positive about everything. I liked getting to see the materials, and having someone here in person to answer questions that came up.
Having participated myself in the BetterLesson PD, I know the caliber of the presenters is extremely impressive. Their energy, experience and passion comes through in every session – and they offer practical hands-on suggestions from their personal teaching lives.
Providing teachers with opportunities to grow and improve their practices is so important. All teachers deserve individual attention to their development.
I believe it is a transformative experience- especially for effective teachers. I feel as though many effective teachers slide through their evaluations and don’t get the feedback they truly need. On the flip side, struggling teachers can have candid and honest conversations without fearing repercussions. They’re able to be vulnerable and find solutions in an efficient manner. My coach is the definition of Teacher Leadership. Her actions alone can inspire teachers to take ownership of the profession. When the example she sets is coupled with her advice, the outcomes have endless potential.
- Wanda Colon-CesarioSecondary Biology Teacher, O'Dea High School, WA
- Debby Penny6th Grade Science Teacher, Skyview Middle School, CO
- Amy AllemonELA Teacher, Marysville Public School, MI
- Cyrel BrudnyPrincipal, AVI CHAI - Yeshiva Shaarei Tzion, NJ
- Jacqueline Erickson RussellEducation Program Officer, Kauffman Foundation, MO
- Michael SkombaHigh School Social Studies Teacher, Somerville Public Schools, NJ