The Future is Flexible and Student-Centered
The future is uncertain. Educators are supporting students amidst profound learning loss, trauma, and inequity, as the coronavirus pandemic shifts how we do school. At the same time, educators have innovated rapidly and connected with families in new ways.
We know that instruction must be student-centered – engaging, responsive, and designed to build ownership. It must also be equitable and flexible – able to adapt to virtual, in-person, or hybrid models. This moment presents us with an opportunity to build a new vision for teaching and learning.
BetterLesson supports teachers, coaches, and administrators to build the essential skills of student-centered, flexible, equitable learning – through 1:1 and small group formats, all delivered online.
Topics for Teachers
- Social-Emotional Learning: Building Relationships
- Family Partnerships: Working Alongside Caregivers to Deepen Learning
- Trauma-Informed Practices: Creating Safe Spaces
- Equity and Access: Ensuring All Students Meet their Potential
- Flexible Assessment: Designing Authentic Assessments to Check Progress
- Meaningful Tasks: Designing Engaging Learning Experiences
- Diverse Student Populations: Supporting English Learners and Students with Disabilities
- Stop the Slide: Using Data to Address Academic Gaps (Launching August 2020)
Topics for Leaders
- Strategic Planning: Goals and Objectives of an Instructional Plan
- Setting up Flexible PD: Shared Professional Learning
- Academic Gaps: Using Data to Stop the Slide and Move Forward
- Trauma-Informed Practices for Leaders: Taking a Positive Approach (Launching August 2020)
- Leading for Equity: Prioritizing Needs and Ensuring Access to Resources (Launching August 2020)
- Flexible Assessment for Leaders: Strategically Approaching Data and Feedback (Launching August 2020)
Professional Learning Experiences
2-hour, online, interactive workshops facilitated by BetterLesson coaches that help teachers and leaders build student-centered learning communities – whether they’re teaching online or in the classroom. Using breakout rooms, participants polls, community-building, and more, participants experience the active pedagogy they can use with students. Sessions are scheduled at your convenience, accommodating small-scale to district-wide professional learning. Virtual Workshops are available on all of the above topics. Learn more
1:1 Virtual Coaching
Individualized virtual coaching for teachers, instructional coaches, and administrators. Each coach is intentionally matched with each participant’s needs, and coaches create a personalized experience that is also aligned with district learning goals. Coaches support educators to design and implement student-centered instruction in the classroom or online, addressing anything from fundamental planning to urgent practical questions. Coaches work with educators on all of the above topics.
Self-Guided Online Course and Certificate (Coming soon)
A 5 module online course for teachers, completed at their own pace. In “Tool, Time, Task: Foundations of Distance Learning”, teachers will learn how to set up a distance learning “space”, use instructional time strategically, and create meaningful learning tasks. Participants can watch videos from our experienced instructional coaches, explore practical templates and tech tools, and ask questions of a coach “mentor” at any time. Teachers will finish with a certificate and a concrete plan for next year- whether distance learning is a small or large part of their teaching.
Create Your Flexible Learning Plan
We build a partnership with districts and schools to design the right set of professional learning experiences and support you over time. Together we discuss your vision for student success, select the best-fit PD topics and timeline, and review data throughout the engagement. As former educators, we want to ensure your staff feel supported and ready to take on the challenge of flexible learning.
Start by reviewing all the available flexible learning topics. Then schedule a conversation with one of our partnership managers to start to build your PD plan.
“The BetterLesson facilitators were excellent. They modeled how to build community and make the lesson interactive and participatory, even through the digital platform.”
— English teacher, Cumberland County Schools
Get Started with Our Free Flexible Learning Resources
Guides and Blogs
In our Facebook group, educators share questions and strategies related to flexible and student-centered learning. We invite school and district leaders, coaches, and teachers to join us!