In this 2 hour virtual workshop, a BetterLesson coach will guide your learning community on the first part of this journey: From Awareness to Action. From Awareness to Action highlights building self-inventory skills and exposing the deep inequities in educational practices (awareness) while identifying ways to take steps in the classroom and school to further learn about ourselves as educators and our students (action). In this hands-on, collaborative experience, participants will define culturally responsive teaching and learning through their own reality as educators. Participants will reflect on their practice by creating a self-inventory and will align on current systemic inequalities and injustices to inform the creation of an implementation plan.
This product is designed for teachers, leaders, and administrators that are looking to confront inequity and use their agency to analyze implicit bias and work towards creating equitable systems.
- 2 hour virtual workshop
- Small-Large Groups
- Deep Understanding of Self: by taking time to complete the Self-Inventory participants became aware of their areas of strength and areas for growth.
- CRT Defined: understanding of what CRT is, why it’s important, and how it’s helpful for students and their learning
- The Four I’s of Oppression: analyzing and discussing the what the I’s are and how they influence students in negative ways; bringing awareness to our need to be actively working against using these strategies in harmful ways.
- Creation: making a plan for implementing CRT strategies into daily practice or a progression of how a system changing takes time and builds over time with small steps forward
- Accountability: thinking through systems that will support the strategy (for future reflection on it’s effectiveness and assessing the impact of the strategy)
- Reflect: create next steps to prepare for implementation
- Coaches will guide discussion, facilitate conversations, and push boundaries to encourage thought and inspire critical thinking.
- Participants will reflect on their own beliefs, examine the reason their choices were made, consider how that shows up in their instruction or as an eductor, and work towards undoing that habit in implementing a CRT strategy.
- In groups, participants will share their findings, exchange thinking, and provide suggestions when asked.
- We will experience a depth in our understanding of and application of CRT that will, hopefully, transform the mindset and approach we have towards inclusive and responsive classrooms for all learners.