Districts, schools and teachers who are implementing the EL Curriculum for the first time need a structured approach to building their awareness and understanding of the curriculum. During this virtual series, participants will understand the overall design principles and structure of the curriculum, the components and instructional shifts that teachers will make towards a student-centered literacy classroom and how this will support students to become successful learners.
This workshop is part of a series. Explore the other workshop sessions below:
This learning series is for participants who are new to the EL Curriculum or have piloted some of the components. During this series, we will launch with a curriculum overview and then narrow the focus to Modules, Skills Block and ALL Block depending on the grade-level audience.
- Grade level specific or mixed grade levels
- All participants need to have access to a computer with a camera, microphone and headphones
- Participants should have access to curriculum materials either digitally or in print
Participants will get an overview of the EL Curriculum to build a solid foundation for implementation. Throughout the series educators will dig into essential components and understand the rationale, structure and resources available to support them. As they learn about the curriculum they will understand the shifts to student-centered literacy.
- Mindset: Teachers believe in a student-centered approach to literacy and understand how the components of the EL Curriculum support literacy development
- Curriculum Design: Teachers understand how the Modules, Skills Block, All Block and Labs are designed to support literacy development
- Curriculum Components and Practices: Teachers understand how standards spiral through units to support mastery
- Resources, Templates and Videos: Teachers know where to find and how to use EL Curriculum resources, BetterLesson support documents and can leverage video to improve instruction
Session F: Getting Started with ALL Block 3-5
- I can define how ALL Block supports literacy development in the Module lessons.
- I can explore the design principles of the ALL Block and develop understanding of the components of ALL Block
- I can utilize provided materials and instructional practices to build a plan for implementation.