Expecting students to move together through traditional one-size-fits-all instruction affects students who need more support and those who are ready and waiting to move forward. The Competency-Based Learning focus area provides educators with the skills they need to design student-centered learning progressions, set up routines for student autonomy, and provide personalized support for all learners. Our 1:1 coaching methodology centers on the principles of actionable research and job-embedded best practices to provide the most personalized and differentiated approach to meet the needs of our participants. This professional learning is designed to support each participant with what they need, not a one-size-fit all approach. Our Competency-Based Learning coaches use the “Try, Measure, Learn” approach to create an ongoing change in practice.
This coaching model and support was developed for teachers, instructional coaches, and leaders.
- Bi-weekly, 30 Minute virtual session scheduled directly with a BetterLesson Coach
- 4 Session Coaching Packs around one topic (tied to a virtual workshop) or Targeted (half-year) and Unlimited Coaching with flexibility is available
- Participants will need a computer with access to Zoom, a camera, a microphone, and stable Internet connectivity
- Participants will register for access with the BetterLesson Lab
- Participants will schedule 1:1 coaching calls with their coach
Coaching supports participants where they are at, building awareness, understanding, and opportunities for application and ownership of key competencies like these:
- Grading for Equity: I design equitable competency-based grading models that allow students to demonstrate mastery in a variety of ways.
- Student Goal Setting and Autonomy: I consistently implement student goal setting and reflection strategies to build student autonomy and drive academic and personal growth.
- Developing Competencies: I create competency frameworks that determine my students’ proficiency in content and skills.
- Designing Learning Progressions: I design learning progressions that support students in independently progressing towards mastery.
- Self-Pacing: I create systems and routines to support students as they self-pace through a learning progression.
- Targeted Support During a Learning Progression: I design structures to provide targeted support to students in a competency-based model.