Plants and Erosion
Lesson 12 of 12
Objective: SWBAT conduct an experiment to determine the affects of plants on the amount of erosion.
I had to do this lesson a day earlier than I had scheduled, so I didn't have anything typed up to pass out. I had to have my class just copy the Investigation from my notebook under the document camera, and made sure to remind them to write a prediction about the focus question.
I assigned roles (getter, builder, planter, and cleaner) based on their position at their tables. I used the kids without roles to help pass out humus and seeds.
Since this was at least our fourth time building a stream table, they were able to set up the experiment fairly quickly. Once we had that done, we came back to the room to discuss predictions.
This uncovered quite a few misunderstandings. I was surprised to find a substantial number didn't really know what I meant by erosion, so we had to go back to building the vocabulary by discussing our hands on experiences as well as using photos of rivers, canyons, and deltas.
Our seeds never sprouted, so we were not able to reach any conclusions. We discussed various ideas why they might not have sprouted, and what we could do the next time. After successfully collecting data and drawing conclusions based on that data, I would extend the lesson by having students create testable questions based on this experiment by asking what they might change about the procedure, such as changing the angle of the trays or the types of seeds.