This was the first lesson on ladybugs. Though most of my students had seen them or touched them, they really did not know why ladybugs were important to the environment. I posed one simple question, " Why are ladybugs important?" and that started us on our ladybug expedition.
I created a PowerPoint, Ladybugs, in order to build excitement and engage all of my students through the videos, and images that are included in the PowerPoint to enhance the lesson. I find that using a PowerPoint keeps the students focused and helps guide the lesson in a way that keeps them engages and interacting with the content.
We looked at, and discussed, the different types of ladybugs. The students also shared personal experiences with ladybugs. I then explained that we were going to participate in The Lost Ladybug Project from Cornell University. We would go in search of ladybugs in the school yard. I downloaded the Lost ladybug file as a guide for the students to use which would enable them to identify any ladybug they came across. I created found a ladybug, in order for them to document any ladybug they found. First we looked for ladybugs in front of school and were lucky enough to find a few, here's some of the students finding ladybugs on our expedition. Students then updated their found a ladybug page and checked the field guide for a match.
We were lucky enough to have found some ladybugs, here is an example of one of the completed I found a ladybug document. I also printed out certificates , which are available on LostLadybug.org. The students connected with the content in a way that left a lasting impression for us all, they felt like their learning had purpose.