Lesson: Impaired driving lawyer is a criminal defense attorney
Driving while impaired refers to operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. The quite process is quite lengthy for such cases.
Here are few signs to spot a drunk or drugged driver-
- Driving anywhere other than on a road
- Stopping the vehicle without any cause
- Slow response to traffic signals
- Turning illegally
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
You can pursue a claim against the impaired driver for any injuries, or damage you sustained.
Impaired driving penalties-
Impaired driving is considered a criminal offense in most countries. It not only affects you, but also your employment, family, and ability to drive.
In such a case, impaired driving lawyer can help you to a great extent. Hiring his services or not depends on you, but if ignored it will cost you a lot. Upon conviction, for impaired driving, the following penalties apply-
- 90 days license suspension
- Jail up to 2 years
- Fine of 1000-2000 dollars
- Travel restrictions
- Interlock must be tested at regular intervals at the driver’s cost.
Difference between DUI and DWI-
Both the terms are worse but they have few differences which are to be noted.
- Depending on the state law both terms are used to describe drunken, or impaired driving. Some refer to the offense as DUI while others as DWI.
- DUI stands for driving under the influence. On the same token, DWI refers to driving while intoxicated.
- DWI is more severe than a DUI as it signals a higher level of intoxication.
Consequences of impaired driving-
Below is an overview of DUI and DWI and their consequences. If you are facing charges be sure to seek the help of an impaired driving lawyer.
- Impaired and over 80- The parliament made it a criminal offense as driving over 80 is referred to as impaired.
- Repeat offenders- If you repeat a mistake several times then parliament can increase your penalty.
- Death, and bodily harm- For death, you would have a penalty of life. Contrary to it, in the case of bodily harm, the maximum penalty is 14 years.
Alcohol isn’t the only way to impair your driving-
Impaired driving is a major safety problem nationwide. Drinking is the leading cause of impairment. However, drivers need to be aware of how other substances can affect their safety.
- Alcohol- It is termed as the major cause of impaired driving. In 2017 crashes, 21% of men are drunk, according to NHTSA. To help prevent a crash-
- Designate a non-drinking driver
- Don’t let your friends drive impaired
- Use a taxi if you are drinking or taking drugs
- Distractions- Distractions caused by cellphones are a growing cause of accidents. In addition to cellphones, keep your radio volume down, and avoid multitasking.
An impaired driving lawyer is a criminal offense attorney. He specializes in DUI/DWI cases. You know well, that impaired driving is a crime, and if charged for it then a driving lawyer can get you through the legal process by providing the required assistance.
Hire a good impaired lawyer for your case who is an expert in the field for expected results.
|No resources at this time.|