Lesson: Compare and Order Decimals
6NSO.N2 – Compare and order positive and negative fractions, decimals and mixed numbers and place them on a number line
6NSO.N5 – Identify and determine common equivalent fractions, mixed numbers, decimals and percents.
· Compare and order decimals
· Compare fractions and decimals
· Compare decimals by comparing digits in the same place value
· To compare fractions and decimals we should first put them both in the same format.
Compare 0.078 ____ 0.8
Order from least to greatest
0.5, 0.05, 0.55, 0.505
Compare ¼ ____0.14
Compare 3/5 ____ 0.6
· 3 problems converting fractions to decimals
· Review the key points of converting fractions to decimals – top number in the box. Divide.
· We are going to work today to compare decimal numbers
· After we can compare decimals, we will work on comparing decimal numbers to fractions.
· Model for students writing decimal equivalents. Highlight that 0.4 and 0.40 are the same number using a fraction model.
· Have students write decimal equivalents to a certain place
· Model for students that we can compare decimals using a decimal place value chart. The reason this helps is because it forces us to line up our digits according to their place value and therefore we can compare them easily.
· Have students practice comparing decimals using a place value chart
· Model for students ordering decimals – highlight that we should always look to see if we are ordering them from least to greatest or greatest to least.
· Have students order decimals
· Model for students comparing fractions to decimals
· Tell students that the first thing we should do is put them in the same format – discuss the saying comparing apples to oranges – and that it’s harder to compare things that aren’t alike
· Model for students comparing by changing both into decimals
· Model for students comparing by changing both into fractions
· Students practice comparing fractions to decimals
· Students practice independently comparing, ordering decimals
· Students independently practice compare fractions to decimals.
· Review key points
· Exit Ticket
|Compare Order Decimals Exit Ticket Assessment||
|U5 L7 Between the Lines Compare Decimals and Fractions||
|U5 L8 Between the Lines Order Decimals Fractions|