Lesson: Rewrite the Script of Imperialism: Economic Profile of a Country
- LCD projector
- Internet Connection
- Netflix account- “Life and Debt” is available on disc or instant play
WRITE ON BOARD: How Has Imperialism Affected Economies in Colonized Countries?
Solicit students’ prior knowledge about these topics:
- Jamaica, the Caribbean
- Poverty, rural & urban
- Free trade
- International financial institutions? (IMF & World Bank)
- International development
Distribute attached Economic Terms Handout. Lead students through the attached PowerPoint presentation. Have them take notes according to your classroom system.
Watch film with students, stopping occasionally to check for understanding. Be aware of the difficulty students may have with the accent and pace of speech in the film. Write important facts that are stated on the board beside the viewing screen so that students do not have to remember everything. Assume that they will take away the emotional impact of globalization more than anything, and you can use this bullet point outline to help them review the facts once the movie is finished.
Students should answer questions on attached Film and Discussion Questions handout while watching and during discussion after the film.
- · Read Economic Chapter 19, Section 1
- · Read Heart of Darkness pp.92-110
- · Project Vocabulary Dice Game (encourage them to choose a couple of economic terms to add to their dictionary)
Students complete online IMF activity at http://www.glencoe.com/sec/socialstudies/economics/econprinciples2001/chapter19/webact.html