Lesson: If the Shoe Fits
No objective at this time.
Title: If the Shoe Fits
Author: Gary Soto
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Themes: Big families, money/poverty, self-esteem, appearance
1. Author study: Gary Soto
2. What are penny loafers? (the shoes)
“If the shoe fits”
1-“…his home was as crowded as a bus.”
10-“Rigo’s mind whirled for an answer.”
1. What is Rigo’s problem at the very beginning of the story? Do you think that that is a very big problem?
2. What happens the first time Rigo wears his shoes? What would you have done?
3. What predictions do you have after reading this page? (p.7)
4. What clues does the author give us to show that Rigo cares about his appearance? (p.8)
5. Rigo notices that his uncle’s shirt has paint on it and his pants are too long. He also notices that he is taller than his uncle. What do you think Rigo is going to do?
6. Did Rigo’s opinion of hand-me-downs change? Why do you think it did/didn’t?
7. What is the author’s message?
8. Describe the setting.
9. What genre is this book?
|If the Shoe Fits Soto Lesson Plan|
|If the Shoe Fits text Reading Passage|