Lesson: First Day in Grapes
No objective at this time.
Title: First Day in Grapes
Author: L. King Perez
Genre: Realistic fiction
Themes: farm workers, poverty, first day of school, confidence, family
1. What genre do you think this book will be?
2. Discuss migrant workers.
3. Mix of Spanish in dialogue. Author’s purpose in doing that.
7-“Chico’s eyes got big as lemons.”
11-“In a flash Chico wrote 94.”
14-“It got quiet enough to hear cucumbers grow.”
1. What does Chico mean when he says, “his first day in artichokes, first days in onions, garlic, grapes, etc.?”
2. Why doesn’t Chico want to go to school?
3. Describe what kind of life Chico has. How is it similar to or different from your own life?
4. What does Chico aspire to become?
5. Describe the setting.
6. What character traits describe Ms. Andrews?
7. Summarize what happens in the cafeteria at lunch.
8. How do you think Chico got to be so good at math? Use the hint on page 16.
9. How do Chico’s feelings about school change?
10. How does Chico’s self-esteem evolve?
|First day in Grapes Perez Lesson Plan||
|I Can Hear the Sun text Texts|