Lesson: Thirteen Colonies
DO NOW (4 minutes):
· Have students analyze the two images and write down their observations
· Encourage students to write for the entire time
· Review map of Europe and point out the 3 main countries that were colonizing North America
I DO/WE DO:
· Give general notes on colonization and dissect current map of U.S. into territories occupied by Great Britain, France, and Spain
· Divide students into small groups
· Assign each group a colony group (New England, Middle, Southern)
· Each group must become “masters” of their colony group
· They must take turns reading the section and filling out the accompanying chart
· Allow students 10 minutes to finish this activity
· Then have two representatives from each group “teach” the rest of the class about their colony group
· At the end of class, all students should have notes on all three colony groups
· If time allows, have students begin homework
What went well?
Students enjoying working in groups.
What would you change?
Include some sort of multimedia to help with engagement.
What needs explanation?
Students are interested in why colonists are moving to undeveloped territory.
|HA23 13Colonies key||
|The 13 Colonies Resource||