Lesson: I Can Hear the Sun
No objective at this time.
Title: I Can Hear the Sun
Author: Patricia Polacco
Genre: Modern Myth
Themes: Friendship, homelessness, animals, dreams
1. Share photos of Lake Merrit, Oakland, CA
2. Discuss homeless people
3. People we see at public parks
4. Vietnam vets.
5. goose vs. geese
1- “It started that summer two years ago, the one that steamed into Oakland like a thief in the night.” (sim.)
1- “…like Mae Marie, whose whole life was stuffed right into that old cart…” (sim.)
2-“But he got up and took her hand.”
4-“She makes me smile inside.”
4-“Need a lift home?”
14-“I’ve let you down.”
1. What character traits describe Fondo? Why?
2. What character traits describe Stephanie Michele? Why?
3. Can Stephanie Michele really hear the sun?
4. Why does Fondo say, “Wish I could,” about turning into a goose? (p.7)
5. How does the author tell us what a settlement-house building is? (p.9)
6. Why does Stephanie Michele say she let Fondo down? (p.12)
7. What happened to Fondo?
8. What genre is this book?
9. What parts of the story could really happen? Which parts couldn’t really happen?
10. What genre would it be if Fondo didn’t fly off with the geese at the end of the story?
11. How does this book make you feel?
12. Describe the setting of this story.
|I Can Hear the Sun Polacco Lesson Plan|
|I Can Hear the Sun text Texts|