Lesson: Developing + and -
Students will develop automaticity when adding and subtracting; understand the concepts of adding and subtracting.
In your math journals, write a fact family for each.
a. 6, 3, 9
b. 8, 10, 18
c. 7, 4, 11
- State today's objective.
- Review the terms sum, difference.
- Explain to the students that you are going to roll a die.
- Roll the die. Record the number on the whiteboard.
- Record the number.
- Roll the die again. Record the number on the whiteboard.
- Tell students that if our first number is bigger than the second number, we will subtract. Tell student that if our first number is bigger than the second number, we will add.
- Model setting up several problems.
- Allow for student to solve each.
- Distribute and explain Independent Practice for Developing + and – Lesson Facts Practice
- Allow students to work in pairs to practice their addition and subtraction facts at the following link: http://theteacherscafe.com/Worksheets/Math/Addition-Subtraction/Addition-Subtraction.htm
- In your writing journal, write a response to the following: What is the difference between addition and subtraction?
|IP Developing and Lesson||
|Addition and Subtraction Fact Practice||
|Adding Whole Numbers IP Activity||