Lesson: What is technology?
Introduction: This lesson enables students to determine that anything that makes our life easier is considered a technology. Each group will be given a bin filled with items and they will have to determine their purpose (use in life) and explain how they function. We will then create a definition of technology: Anything that solves a problem or makes life easier.
- Do Now: The purpose of the Do Now is to model how group work will happen today. You should place an item at the front of the room and ask students to 1) explain the purpose of the item and 2) explain how the item works. Review. (5 minutes)
- Explain the objectives and how group work will occur. You should assign groups ahead of time. Say that they will be given a bin filled with several items. Their job is to analyze each one and determine a use and explain how it works. They should only work on one item at a time. You can assign roles; I like to have a leader, time keeper, social skills checker (makes sure everyone's playing nice), and reporter (they are the only one who can ask me a question when I address the group. This avoids too many people talking at a time and promotes communication among the group members). (5 minutes)
- Groups work on the activity and fill in worksheet (Student worksheet 1) (15 minutes)
- Each group will share one item from their bin and explain the products purpose and how it works. (10 minutes)
- Discuss what each item has in common--they all make life easier. Define Technology: Anything that solves a problem or makes life easier.
- Assign homework: Make a list of 5 things from home and explain how they make our lives easier.
|Student worksheet 1 Activity||