Lesson 4 of 10
Objective: SWBAT differentiate and explain the use of persuasive techniques.
Prompt: Explain how advertisers appeal to consumers?
Students responded to this prompt to help them begin noticing ways in which advertising inadvertently affects them. After they finish, they shared their thoughts within a small group.
Prior to reviewing the Persuasive Techniques power point, I passed out a Persuasive Technique reference sheet for students to glue in their notebooks. This sheet included the basic information to which students added other details that they felt important for their understanding of Persuasive Techniques as we progressed through the presentation (i.e. Examples, other clarifying information).
Using the power point as a focus upon terminology, I introduced information which addressed the following:
- Relationship of propaganda to advertising
- Bandwagon – definition, current examples and WWI examples
- Avant – Garde – definition, example
- Testimonial – definition, current examples and WWI example
- Facts and Figures – definition, examples
- Transfer – definition, current examples and WWI examples
Students were interactive in noticing the persuasive techniques used in the ads and their effect upon the audience. They also associated other ads with which they were familiar to the specific techniques.
Each person turned to their partner and explained about one type of persuasive technique. The other partner then did the same.