Do Now: (5 minutes)
1) Amedeo can type 153 words in 3 minutes. At this rate, how many words can he type in 10 minutes?
2) Convert 5 ½ yards to feet.
3) ¾ of a foot is how many inches?
Direct Instruction: (20 minutes)
Yesterday we converted units of customary measurement. Today we are going to convert units in the metric system. What are some of the differences between the metric system and the customary system?
The metric system has three base units- liters, meters and grams. Unlike the customary system , all three base units use the same prefixes and convert using the same method.
Let’s take a look at some of the metric conversions to see if we can find the pattern and the order of the prefixes. The base unit is in the middle. Each of the prefixes translates to how it relates to the base units.
Kilo hector deca base deci centi milli
thousands hundreds tens tenths hundredths thousandths
To remember the order of the units, just think King Henry Died Unusually Drinking Chocolate Milk
To convert metric units:
- Slide the decimal point the number of places as the distance to the new unit.
- Slide to the right to go to smaller units
- Slide to the left for the larger units
Ex. Convert 4.5 liters to milliliters
Ex. Convert 500 millimeters to meters
Guided Practice: (10 minutes)
metric conversion guided practice
Assessment: (10 minutes)
metric conversion assessment