Lesson 3 of 5
Objective: SWBAT find synonyms for the week's words.
This short lesson is meant to be used as part of a daily lesson on every Wednesday. I usually do a short vocabulary lesson at the start of a lesson, before my lesson opener or at the end, after the exit ticket.
Teach: I will say, I am going to practice the skill practicing the definition of the week's vocabulary words. I am going to use the strategy of finding and using synonyms of the words. The process I will use is as follows:
1) Repeat the words off the Word Wall with my classmates
2) Ask myself, "What is another word that has a similar meaning as one of the vocabulary words?"
3) Jot two synonyms for one of the words on the weekly vocabulary sheet*
4) Complete the rest for homework**
5) I will make it a goal to use at least one of the words in my writing today (a different word than I used yesterday).
I will have students do a class-wide choral read of the words. They will then stop and jot synonyms for one of the words, then turn and talk to read it to a partner. They will complete the rest for homework. I will remind them after the writing lesson to use at least one or more of the words and the synonyms then underline it in their writing today.
*All weeks are included in the first lesson of this unit.
** Here are examples our vocabulary work.