1. Review Classroom systems:
a. Paper passing out/in procedure (time and record on blackboard): Papers for class will be located on the long table beneath the green bulletin board.
i. Papers will pass to the right in class.
ii. Papers will be passed in to the left to be stored on the same table.
b. Pencil/tissues will be located on the work space at the window side of the classroom.
i. Silent signal to receive permission.
c. Students may use bathroom when:
i. DN is complete,
ii. After Independent work has been started,
iii. After quizzes or tests are done.
d. (4 minutes) Binder sections and set up– highlight vocabulary and resource sections
i. Vocabulary – as a means of fostering independence students will have a vocabulary packet organized per unit that they will need to take initiative to complete. Completing will require transferring definitions from various handouts to a central location as a means of organization and studying (providing another hit for each word). This will need to be done each unit.
ii. Resource – during each unit, students are responsible for locating two scientific articles and actively reading them before placing them in the resource section of their binders.
iii. Binders will checked at least once quarterly for a grade.
e. (8 minutes) Grading Breakdown (as handout to be placed in binder with grade tracker sheet.)
i. Do Now/ CW/Exit Tickets 20%
ii. Homework 25%
iii. Quizzes / NSA 30%
iv. Labs & Projects 25%
2. (8 minutes) Class review of do now. Project first image, “A” in detail. Students will list their observations and we will create class record of observations. Accept observations and inferences for time being.
3. (2 minutes) Move to CW. Students provide define observation and inference.
(material introduced in 7th). Looking for:
Observation – information gathered using the five senses. undisputable
Inference - assumption made based on observation
4. (6 minutes) You do: Students will identify 5 statements on CW as either observations or inferences and provide evidence.
5. (4 minutes) We do: Review answers to the five statements. Clarify confusions as necessary.
6. Return to the list which was created for the first photo:
Ask: Which of the following are observations and which are inferences?
7. Allow students 20 seconds to silently contemplate list.
8. (4-6 minutes) Volleyball conversation: “Do you agree that ___________ is an observation of this photo?” Go through each statement and identify as an observation (“O”) or an inference (“I”)
9. () Judging by time and mastery we may discuss one or both of the remaining photos from do now. This time however, we will begin with observations only. After a student provides a statement. Poll class for observation or inference. Follow up by asking 1-2 students to provide evidence for their stance. Follow up on both observation and inference perspectives.
10. (4 minutes) Preview Homework and HW expectations.
(3 minutes) Exit ticket.