Lesson: LP 4: Haitian Revolution
- Organization Time (5)
· Copy HW, Learning Outcome, and Table of Contents
Collect HW: Enlightenment Thinking Today
- Haitian Revolution Timeline (40)
· Students will take lecture notes to learn the key events of the Haitian Revolution. (PPT notes and Revolution Timeline) To do this, I show each slide and explain the information on the slide. The first few times I do this with a class, I am very specific about what needs to be written down, then later, I let students practice note taking by making the decision themselves. After all students have stopped writing, I move on to the next slide. This can be a slow process, but I find that, even though students complain at first, they get very engaged in the information and learn a lot of information quickly. It might be helpful to have a process for questions, since many come up when students start to get engaged. I will sometimes just answer 1-2 questions per slide to keep it moving.
- Revolution Framework (25)
· Students will work in pairs to identify the conditions, beliefs, and triggering event of the Haitian Revolution in order to complete the framework chart (Haitian Revolution Framework)
· Extension: Students who finish early, or would like a challenge, may read and highlight the reading (Haitian Revolution Overview)
- Begin HW (15) (Illustrated Timeline)
¥ Haitian Revolution Cartoon – students will create a cartoon that includes 6 “frames” about the History of the Haitian Revolution. Captions must include all 6 vocab words. Show example, if possible.
|PPT notes: Haitian Revolution Timeline Notes||
|Notes: Haitian Revolution Timeline Notes||
|CW: Haitian Revolution Framework Classwork||
|HW: Illustrated Timeline Homework||
|Reading: An Overview of the Haitian Revolution Reading Passage||