Lesson: Thursday 2/11/13 - Symbols from the War of 1812
Students recognize the significance of certain American symbols
- Distribute the Handout: Symbols of the New Nation.
- Begin a discussion of other symbols of the new nation with connections to the War of 1812.
- The ship the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) became a symbol of America’s strength and victory in the War of 1812.
- Other symbols with ties to the War of 1812 include Uncle Sam, the White House, the Star-Spangled Banner, and the Capitol building.
- Distribute the Handout: Symbols of the New Nation to each student.
- Each student in the class receives one symbol page to investigate. Students read and learn about the symbol using the handout, the textbook, and other appropriate information.
- Students each share what they have learned with the class. (With a larger class use Kagan's Expert Jigsaw Strategy).
|No resources at this time.|
No comments at this time.Add Comment