Lesson: Future Tense Verbs
Students will use identify future tense verbs. Students will form the future tense of verbs by adding will+verb.
- On a chart, review the academic language for the verbs lessons:
- A verb is a word that shows __________.
- past tense verbs tell what __________ _________ed
- present tense verbs tell what is happening right now.
- future tense verbs tell what will happen
- Future tense verbs tell us what is going to happen.
- The rule for future tense verbs is to just add will + verb.
- Tomorrow, I will run 2 miles.
- Next week, I will read 30 pages.
- Ask the students to list some “"time words” that tell us the verb should be future tense
- i.e. Tomorrow, next year, next week, after school
- On the first chart, have students come up, and circle a verb. The next student can turn that verb into future tense. The last student can use it in a sentence.
- Tell the students that they now know the 3 types of verbs: past, present, and future.
- Past tense means it already happened (gesture: 2 thumbs pointing behind your back)
- The rule is usually add –ed to the ending. Some irregular verbs have special rules. Say them outloud in a “Yesterday” sentence to see if it sounds/looks right.
- Present tense means that it is happening right now (gesture pointing straight down towards your shoes)
- Am+___ing, is +___ing
- Future tense means that it will happen (gesture: point forward, straight in front of you)
- The rule is add will in front of the verb.
- Tell the students they will be working in groups to sort words into 3 different piles. Make sure you check carefully before you decide if it’s past, present, or future
- Hand out verb cards.
- Students will work in groups of 2-3 to sort the cards into 3 piles: past tense, present tense and future tense.
- Bring students to the carpet.
- Show the students the 3 gestures, they should shout out the correct tense that you are showing. Call on students to give examples of each tense of verb.
- Tell students that tomorrow they will start an art project to show action verbs.
|Chart FutureTense Activity||
No comments at this time.Add Comment